Photo contest “University of Tartu in pictures”
The University of Tartu invites everyone to participate in a photo contest to get photos by talented amateur and professional photographers depicting the University of Tartu buildings, students, events, studies, and everything else related to the University of Tartu. The contest takes place from 29 March to 30 September and all participants enter a draw to win prizes.
All photos sent to the contest will be included in the University of Tartu photo bank and used on the website and in the marketing materials of the University of Tartu.
Photos may be submitted by members of the university as well as non-university people. Any equipment or technical solutions – drones, hybrid cameras, film cameras, phones, etc. – may be used to take the pictures. Photos from different years or different seasons of the year are welcome.
Photos depicting the following may be submitted:
- Buildings, rooms and campus of the University of Tartu; colleges and university buildings in other cities outside Tartu, students and events;
- members of the university, their emotions and stories;
- exciting experiments in labs, interesting research studies and seminars; university researchers, lab interns; conferences and other events and speakers at these events;
- student life and studies; lectures, seminars, practicals, field observation, group work in the cafe; studying in the library, students’ hobby activities, events on Toome hill;
- a personal and creative approach to the University of Tartu, captured from a new or interesting angle.
Participants are welcome to send any other photos related to the theme of the University of Tartu.
Terms and conditions
To participate in the contest, entrants must read the general terms and conditions and the requirements for entries, and complete the consent form.
- The contest takes place from 29 March to 30 September 2021 and is organised by the University of Tartu.
- Both professional and amateur photographers are eligible to participate in the contest. Persons involved in organising the contest are not allowed to participate in the contest.
- Each author may submit up to six entries.
- Photos must be sent by the author. It is not allowed to send photos made by third persons.
- Photos must be sent with the digitally signed consent and, if necessary, the permission form to veeb [ät] ut.ee, with “Photo contest” in the subject line.
- The photo may be taken in any place connected with the University of Tartu. The author of the photo need not have a relationship with the captured object.
- By participating, the entrant grants the University of Tartu the right to use the photos free of charge.
- The organiser has the right to eliminate ineligible photos from the contest.
- The submitted photos are reviewed by a four-member jury of the Marketing and Communication Office of the University of Tartu. The jury will organise monthly interim prize draws and the draw the main prize on 29 October at the latest.
Requirements for entries
- The submissions must be high-quality photos. The choice of equipment used for taking the photo is not limited.
- The preferable size of the photo files is 20MP (5472 x 3648 px).
- Photos should be submitted as compressed .jpg files.
- Digital processing is allowed within the bounds of good taste.
- Each photo must have a caption. The caption may be in Estonian or English, preferably in both languages.
- No dates or text must be visible on the photos; these can be added separately in the description of the photo. Photos must not be surrounded by a mat or border.
To participate in the contest, entrants must give a consent for the use of their photos at the university. For that purpose, download and complete the consent form, sign it digitally and send with the photo(s) to veeb [ät] ut.ee.
If there are identifiable people in the photos, the authors must confirm they have obtained the consent of all individuals in the photo for the public use of the photo. For that purpose, download and complete the confirmation form, sign it digitally and send with the consent form and photo(s) to veeb [ät] ut.ee. The confirmation is not needed if there are no persons in the photos.
Use of photos and personal data
The University of Tartu adds the author’s name to each photo that is published.
By submitting the photos, the participant grants the University of Tartu the right to use the photos free of charge, without asking for separate permission. The university has the right to distribute and disclose the photos to the public, to include them in its information and presentation materials, on the website, social media channels, in event and exhibition materials, including with works by other authors.
The University of Tartu will use the personal data submitted with the photo(s) for drawing the prizes and for indicating the author’s name with the photos. The participants’ email addresses and phone numbers are necessary solely for organising the competition and will not be published to third persons.
The total prize pool of the contest is 500 euros, which will be issued in the form of photography supplies or services, newspapers or periodicals subscriptions and gift cards. In addition, gifts of the University of Tartu and gift cards from partners are drawn as intermediate prizes.
Winner of the photo contest
The winner of the main prize of the photo competition “University of Tartu in a Picture” is Hendrik Mändla, presented with the photo “Main Building and Evening Life”.
“Main Building and Evening Life”
Author: Hendrik Mändla
All winners will be contacted.
Marketing and Communication Office
elina.klesman [ät] ut.ee