Cost of living
General feedback from foreigners who have spent some time here is that living conditions are similar to those in Western Europe.
Student's modest budget per month
- Food and other basic costs: around 300-400 EUR.
- For example: local public transport is 7.67 EUR with a monthly ticket (with student card), single ticket for a student 0.51 EUR (1.50 EUR on the bus). Taxi: starting fee from 1.9 EUR, each km from 0.6 EUR.
- Accommodation - in the UT dormitories, the rent is approximately 150 euros for degree-seeking students and 230 for short-term students per month; please see here for more information. It can be 350 EUR or more for a private flat somewhere in the centre and less expensive in the regions more distant from the centre.
- Clothing and household items can be found at shopping centres in town, however, these can be expensive. There are a number of second hand shops around the city for a more economical choice.
- Health insurance: depends on your choice; minimum 300 euros per year
- Residence permit: 64 EUR
- Nightclub ticket: up to 8 EUR (depends on the club, usually there is free entrance to women or students with ESN card)
- Theatre ticket: 19-27 EUR
- Movie ticket: 5.50 EUR before 5 pm on weekdays, 6.70 EUR after 5 pm on weekdays, 7.90 EUR after 5 pm Fri and Sat-Sun
- Beer/cider in a pub: 3 EUR
- Daily specials in pubs and cafes: 3-5 EUR